Archive for May, 2009

Arizona Childproofers in the news

Use the attached link for the latest Arizona Childproofers media release.

Experts offer safety tips after Exodus Tyson tragedy

Experts are offering advice to parents, after Mike Tyson’s daughter Exodus died at St. Joseph’s hospital in Phoenix just before noon Tuesday, according to Andy Hill with the Phoenix Police Department.

The 4-year-old had been on life support after she was found unconscious on Monday morning.  Police say she accidentally hanged herself with the electrical cord of a treadmill in her central Phoenix home.

“Cord accidents happen all too frequently,” said Todd Sriro, who owns Arizona Childproofers.  “We hear about them all the time because we’re in the business, especially window cords.  Children like to take those, and they will create a strangulation if they’re wrapped around a neck.”

Sriro, who makes a living keeping kids safe in their own homes, emphasized that parents should never take their eyes off their children, even for a moment.

“It only takes minutes for a child to strangle themselves,” said Sriro.  “You can get a phone call, or go to the front door, or go to the bathroom, or cook something in the oven, and you turn around five minutes later, and it’s gone.  It’s too late.”

It usually costs about $800 to $1,000 to have a professional company childproof your home, but Sriro said there are cheap and easy ways to ensure your children’s safety yourself.

“They have items you can purchase at Babies-R-Us, Home Depot, the Internet,” he said.  “Simple fixes, like a 25-cent zip tie.  Tie some cords up and get them out of the way, covering up outlets, making sure a child doesn’t get something in there.  Get little corners for the sharp edges, to ensure a child doesn’t fall down and hit their head on something.”

Sriro’s employees install plastic wall mounts to wrap cords around.  They encase electrical cords in plastic tubing, or cover them with a plastic case and stick it to the wall.

Sriro said televisions and stairs are the first things they look for.  They anchor televisions to the tables they sit on, by attaching them adhesively, and put gates up around all stairways.

“It’s a minefield inside the home, and you never know what a child is going to get into,” said Sriro.  “So obviously, adult supervision is first and foremost.”

Mike Tyson issued this statement Tuesday afternoon:

“We are grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and prayers from all over the world.  There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Exodus.  We ask that we be allowed our privacy at this difficult time.”

For more information about how to safety-proof your home, visit

Mike Tyson’s daughter dies after accidental hanging

PHOENIX — The 4-year-old daughter of former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson dies after accidentally hanging herself Monday morning. Read the rest of this entry »

Drowning provides reminder about taking precautions

Following the Saturday drowning death of a Surprise toddler, firefighters are urging residents to take precautions, even when they don’t seem necessary. Read the rest of this entry »

Eddie Bauer Play Yards with Rocking Bassinets Recalled

Eddie Bauer Play Yards with Rocking Bassinets Recalled by Dorel Juvenile Group Due to Suffocation Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. Read the rest of this entry »

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission RECALLS

Jardine Announces Second Recall Expansion of Cribs Sold by Babies’R’Us; Cribs Pose Entrapment and Strangulation Hazards Read the rest of this entry »

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission RECALLS

Dinosaur Play Sets Recalled by DND Imports Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard Read the rest of this entry »

2-year-old unresponsive after found in pool; flown to St. Joe’s

SURPRISE – Surprise Fire Officials say that a 2-year-old boy was found in a pool and was unresponsive at the scene.

They are reporting that the parents thought that the child was taking a nap. Read the rest of this entry »